Saturday, April 17, 2010

Canadian Mac and Cheese

This is your basic mac and cheese with some ham and veggies in it. Not bad and easy to feed the kids. Not as cheesy as kraft, my favorite box mix, but since it's made with cheddar, it has a more natural flavor.

3 cups chicken broth(I roast or boil 2 to 3 chickens a week in our house for my husband's lunches, so I always save the excess fluids, minus the fat, to use as chicken broth).

1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 lbs elbow macaroni noodles(I just used a whole box, since it was easier)
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
5 tbsp. water
1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen peas(I hate peas, so they don't go in mine, but the original recipe calls for them)
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded(I'm generous with the cheese)

Combine broth, milk, and macaroni noodles into a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with water, then combine with noodle mixture. Bring to a boil then add peas and bacon. Stir well, remove from heat. Then add cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Freeze in preferred serving sizes.

On cooking day, defrost and heat in saucepan over medium heat until heated through(you can always add a tbsp. of milk or so if the mixture looks dry. You can also microwave to heat, if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment