Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork

I made this recipe for the first time without freezing it, even though I found it amongst resources for freezer recipes. It was really good. Not overly sweet, but the sauce tasted similar to that glaze you put on Easter ham.

Sweet and Sour Pork

2 lb. cooked pork, cut into strips(I cut into strips before cooking and might actually cut into bite size pieces next time before cooking)

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp. corn starch
1 cup beef or chicken broth(I used chicken)
1/2 tsp. cloves(I used ground cloves)
1 bay leaf

3/4 cup frozen sour cherries or canned, pitted cherries(I could only find canned at the commissary, but made sure I drained the juice off before adding to the recipe)

1 tbsp. lemon juice(I just squeezed one lemon and used whatever it gave me)
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Place cooked pork strips into casserole(I used 9 x 13). In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch and broth, stirring until very smooth without any lumps. Add cloves and bay leaf. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring until thickened. Add sour cherries, lemon juice, and butter/margarine then bring to a boil. Pour mixture over pork in casserole dish, then bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool and freeze into serving size containers.

On cooking day, defrost and reheat in saucepan. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment